Monday, November 12, 2012

Necropolis Company Member: Cassandra Shaffer-Permenter

Neil Ellis Orts, Cassandra Shaffer-Permenter, and Donna Meadows
 A few days ago, I posted some words from Donna Meadows about her experience working on Necropolis for our HopeWerks Resicency performance, Questions and Declarations.

Today, let me introduce you to the other cast member of Jill Alexander Essbaum's Necropolis, Cassandra Shaffer-Permenter. Here's what she's had to say about working on this project:

* * * * *

Neil first described 'Necropolis' to me as a "funny, sad, creepy, Jesusy sort of performance work." Since, funny, sad, Jesusy things are right up my alley, I was of course intrigued. 

I've really enjoyed exploring Jill Alexander Essbaum's work, which is new to me (I hadn't heard of her prior to this experience). Her poems are dark but deeply honest, and almost conversational in some places. I like her use of wordplay and sly double entrendres, as well.

As the title implies, death is a major theme throughout these poems. One of the "play dates" we had early in the process was in the aftermath of Jeremy Choate's tragic passing. I remember that particular read-though was particularly cathartic (for me, at least).

I've really loved being a part of this process and seeing these great poems come to life. As a performer, it's been a fun challenge for me-- most of my background is in dance, and it's been years since I've done any spoken word/acting. Neil and Donna are both great people to work with, and I'm really glad to have been a part of this process with them. I hope you'll come out this weekend and see out efforts!

* * * * *

As Cassandra says, come see the result of our efforts. Dates and times again:

Friday, November 16, 2012 7:30pm
Saturday, November 17, 2012, 7:30pm
Sunday, November 18, 2012 at 6:00pm.

Hope Stone Studio
1210 W. Clay St. 26 (Entrance on Van Buren, at the end of the building!)
Houston, TX

No comments:

Post a Comment