Sunday, July 14, 2013

Wriging Out Light Sources





Wringing Out Light: Poems & Prayers


1805 W. AlabamaHouston, Texas 77098

Friday, July 19, 2013, 7:30pm
Saturday, July 20, 2013 7:30pm
Sunday, July 21, 2013, 3:00pm

Admission: pay what you can

St. Francis of Assisi, Catherine of Sienna, George Herbert, John Donne, Teresa of Avila, and several more visionaries and poets are represented in this program of poetry and performance. Let the words of these mystics draw you to a place of contemplation (and maybe some rejoicing).



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I've been working on the program tonight and thought maybe it would helpful to our audience to have an idea of what poems we're doing before they come to see the show. So here are the first lines of the poems and its source. All are online, so you should be able to find most of the texts with a little Googling.

Such love the sky now pours (Francis of Assissi)
O give thanks, for God is good (Psalm 136:1-9, paraphrased)
Glory be to God for dappled things (Gerard Manley Hopkins)
All things are too small (Hadewijch II)
When he touches me, I clutch the sky’s sheets (Teresa of Avila)
Draw me after you (Clare of Assissi)
I had a natural passion for fine clothes (Teresa of Avila)
I came to love you too late (Augustine of Hippo)
“What is grace?” I asked God (John of the Cross)
Without a place and with a place (John of the Cross)
How could I love my fellow men who tortured me? )John of the Cross)
Death be not proud (John Donne)
Love bade me welcome (George Herbert)
We awaken in Christ's body (Symeon the New Theologian)
Become as a child (Anonymous, 14th Century)
I first saw God when I was a child (Catherine of Sienna)
Unsophisticated teachers say (Meister Eckhart)
I cannot dance, O Lord (Mechtild of Magdeburg)

I hope the above increases your curiosity about the show . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment